I love BBQ pulled pork, but have never been able to perfect it at home...until I found this recipe. My main mistake was using the wrong cut of pork. I was buying the shoulder roasts or the butt roasts, which are HUGE AND EXPENSIVE....not to mention very fatty! So I stumbled across a recipe on Pinterest that uses root beer (of all things) and I was curious!
I tweaked the recipe a little and have made this on a weekly basis for probably 4 months now! Even my 5 and 2 year old love it!
Here is all you need!
- Pork Sirloin Roast (this is the KEY!....a 2-3 lb one will feed us 4 plus leftovers)
- Dry BBQ Rub - any brand
- 1 Can of Root Beer
- Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce - I've tried a couple different sauces, and this one is by far the BEST
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray
- Place the roast in the crockpot and season all sides with the BBQ Rub
- Pour can of root beer over pork
- Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or High for 4-5 - until pork shreds easily.
- Drain out all but maybe a half cup of the rootbeer.
- Shred pork
- Pour BBQ Sauce over shredded pork - Maybe about 1/3 of a large bottle? I just pour and mix till it's the consistency we like. Don't make it a huge science project!
- Let it sit and soak up the sauce for a little bit on the warm setting.
- Serve on potato rolls - again, this is KEY!
It turns out perfect every time! Enjoy and let me know if you try it. :)